Friday, March 21, 2008

Let's do it




Birds do it, bees do it
Even educated fleas do it
Let's do it, I'll start a blog
~adapted from a Cole Porter song

I've recently begun a new phase of my life: On March 1st, I left the city I've been living in for the past five years and returned to my parent's house. I'm not really working, have left behind many of my friends in New York and other places, am suffering from a recent heartbreak, and don't know what my plans are for the future. Without the luxury of having the Brooklyn Public Library a few blocks away, I find myself lacking an adequate means of procuring the foreign films and classic novels that I love. After a few weeks of moping around the house, I've grown bored, and have decided to buck up and get my act together. I have no idea who will read this thing, or if I even will tell people about it, but my general plan is to post things that I find interesting. I have a Moleskin that I carry around in which I write little things I have read. I suppose these observations shall inform much of what I post. I am a bit of a glutton when it comes to books, so when I'm not bemoaning my life (another favorite pastime of mine), I'll probably be talking literature. I'm also a bit of a tumbleweed, going wherever the wind blows me. I just returned from a month in India and before that was in the Middle East. Who knows where I shall end up, but stick around and you shall see.

A little note about the naming of this blog: I've been sitting around for weeks trying to figure out how I'd start my blog (the first entry seems so important!), and moreover, what I'd call it. I was thinking of calling it, "Waiting for Ulysses," in reference to Homer's The Odyssey. I find that I relate to Penelope, Ulysses' wife, who faithfully waits many years for her beloved to return to her from the war in Troy. I, too, am awaiting the arrival of my beloved, who, I can only assume is on his own Odyssey at this moment, all the while, making his way towards me. Just as Penelope is besieged by suitors, so am I tempted by men who would possess me and strip away my virtue. I'm growing anxious, and only pray that I can wait faithfully for he who my heart loves.

The name Dum Spiro Spero is the state motto for South Carolina, which is my home state. It is Latin for "While I breathe, I hope". I, like Alexander Pope, believe that "hope springs eternal in the human breast." My hope lies in many things, but most of all, I hope in a resurrection of my body and soul, a glorification of myself, and a wedding feast. I am a Christian, and as such, believe that we have every reason to hope, and to rejoice: we are intimately loved and cherished by the God who created us.

I hope you enjoy what you read and that you stick around for a bit.

No comments: