Wednesday, September 24, 2008

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light

I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

~William Butler Yeats

Why poetry? Why not? I need more posts involving poetry. I love this poem in particular and think that I should share my favorite poems. I first discovered this poem by watching one of my favorite movies, 84 Charing Cross Road, starring Anne Bancroft, Anthony Hopkins, and Dame Judi Dench. It is the true story of one book lover who corresponds with an antiquarian book seller in London and the amazing relationship that ensues. I highly recommend the movie, especially to fellow bookworms.

And if you stumble upon this post, feel free to share your own favorite poetry with me-- I'd love to read it.

No comments: