Sunday, February 1, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

I was tagged on Facebook to write 25 random things about me. I thought I'd repost them here. Enjoy!

1. I'm a twin. We're fraternal, which means we came from different eggs, and my sister, Erin is three minutes older than me. I'm so thankful to have a twin-- I think I am so blessed!

2. My mom didn't know she was having twins-- the doctor told her that she was having one big baby, and then in delivery, there was two of us. I was born last, which means that I was a complete surprise!

3. I bite my nails. Really badly. It's a terrible habit, and I lose modeling jobs over it. Once I was booked for a $12,000 Japanese shampoo commerical, and they changed models after one day of shooting because my nails looked so bad. I've only stopped biting them once, for about two months. I was on a medicine that helped with that, but it made we gain weight, so I stopped taking the medicine.

4. Reading is just about my favorite thing in the world. I always have a book on me, and have been spotted reading in the crowd at a concert, and at obnoxious night clubs.

5. I'm 29 and still don't have a proper place to call my own. I've spent much of my adult life living in "model apartments." These are apartments that agencies rent to models, but they usually cram up to 8 girls or more in one bedroom apartments filled with bunk beds.

6. I have friends all over the globe-- and have lived with people from all over the place. I've lived with Brazilians, Aussies, New Zealanders, a Hungarian, a Dane, Iranians, a Spaniard, Icelanders, and a whole host of others.

7. Growing up, we moved a lot. My dad worked for Dupont, and they moved us every two years. It was really hard always having to make new friends, but now I am glad that I had that experience as it showed me different parts of America, and because I now feel I am able to adapt and make friends wherever I go.

8. I would love to write a book one day. I haven't figured out yet what it would be about, but maybe one day it'll happen.

9. I keep a blog. It's all over the place, but I do enjoy writing it. You can check it out at http://www.elventryst.blogspot.com

10. I've wanted to model since I was 12 years old. That's the year an agent stopped me on the street and planted that idea in my head. I had always been extremely awkward, with sticks for limbs, and glasses and braces. It had never occured to me that I could model.

11. I was on MTV in 1998. I won a modeling contest that they did, and they came to my house and made a program about me. They also flew me to Miami, where I got to do a fashion show, and co-host MTV Jams. It was a lot of fun!

12. I play violin. I started playing in second grade and continued playing through college. I played with a community orchestra in NY a few years ago, but I haven't played lately, so I'm definitely a little rusty.

13. I really love old movies. I've seen more than anybody I know! I think Louise Brooks is fabulous, and I adore Cary Grant. I love Audrey and Katherine Hepburn, but also like lesser known stars such as the lovely Linda Darnell and Jeanne Crain.

14. One of my favorite movies is called _Two for the Road_. It stars Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney and I just love it.

15. I was born left-handed, but my parents didn't want me to grow up left-handed in a right-handed world.

16. I studied fashion design in college, with a minor in leadership. I don't use either of those today, but I do work in the fashion industry. I really enjoy sewing, and make things for myself and friends.

17. My favorite place I've ever visited is India. I spent three months there and was completely blown away by the scenery and culture. It's not for everybody, though-- it's a hard, hard place.

18. The Christian classic, The Pilgrim's Progress, by John Bunyan, changed my life. I read it at a low place in my life, and this timeless allegory totally inspired me and has shaped my walk as a Christian.

19. I love small dogs. We always had chihuahuas growing up, but now I love Miniature Pinchers, who are considered "the king of the toy breeds."

20. I often get told that I look like Anne Hathaway. Other people that I have been told I look life are Madeline Stowe, Julia Roberts, Kiera Knightley, Natalie Portman, Angelina Jolie, Brooke Shields, Cindy Crawford, Hillary Swank... pretty much anybody who is a brunette! Ha Ha!

21. I was born in Augusta, Georgia, home of The Masters. My family is from Aiken,South Carolina. Everybody in my extended family lives there, with the exception of my parents, who are in Delaware. They hope to retire to South Carolina, though.

22. I'd love to go to grad school one day. I would love to study English Lit, or possibly teaching English as a foreign language.

23. Cities I have called home are New York City, Paris, Athens, Mumbai, and Dubai. I'm hoping to add a few more cities to the list this year... possibly Istanbul and Brisbane or Sydney.

24. My first job was as a hostess/waitress/dishwasher at the family restaurant, Friendly's.

25. I love to send and receive letters. I've probably written and received over a thousand letters in my lifetime. I started writing letters when I was a kid and we were moving around a lot.

7 comments:

emme said...

I loved hearing this!

Thanks for sharing...

~Emily

elventryst said...

Thanks for reading and being supportive!

emme said...

I love reading what you have to write...it makes me feel somehow as if I really do know you! :P

I know that this is going to sound funny...but it has been driving me absolutely *nuts* wondering where on earth I have seen your avatar photo before!! It seems to me that I saw it in a magazine somewhere...is that right??

I loved that pic and I didn't even know that it was you!! :D

~Emily

Jessica said...

Just a note to let you know that my occasional visits to your blog are always like visits with an old friend. It would be great to get caught up in person some day . . .

-Jessica

Raven said...

Nice running into you...and I enjoyed reading. Yer making me miss my modeling days. {sigh} :)

xxx

elventryst said...

Thanks for reading and commenting! I'm sorry I haven't been posting lately-- I'm stranded in Miami and the only computer access I have is through the Mac Store. I'm looking into going to Istanbul for a few months to model and hopefully by then I'll have fixed my computer.

Emme-- the picture of me is from a magazine I shot in Dubai. I don't think it ever ran in the US.

Audrey said...

I tagged your blog as fabulous :)