Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Amusing Signs

One of the bloggers that I regularly read, The Sentence Sleuth, finds sentences in newspapers, books, signs, and the web, and then analyzes them for grammatical errors.  She is remarkably adept at it, and if I had those skills, I would would march around correcting other people's sentences as well (any other Eats, Shoots & Leaves fans out there?).

Alas, I am not a future copywriter, but I still take pictures of signs that I find hilarious.  Take this one for instance:
Photobucket
Sign inside the Ladies' restroom Grand Central Station in New York City
Okay, maybe it's not that funny?  I spotted it in the bathroom in Grand Central Station in New York City and I had to chuckle to myself.  What are these women doing in the bathroom of a grimy train station that their time needs to be limited to under five(!) minutes?  I am not a girly-girl, so I cannot fathom why there was a need to post such a sign.

This sign cracks me up, too:
Photobucket
Sign inside Sheikh Zayed Mosque in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
It was taken in the Grand Mosque (aka Sheikh Zayed Mosque) in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, which just happens to be the eighth largest mosque in the world (and home to the world's largest handmade carpet and largest chandelier). Now here's my question: who are these people who decided it would be a good idea to wash their dishes in the sink at the mosque? (Of course, if you have spent any time in the U.A.E., you'll have a good guess who this message is intended for.)  So, there you go-- next time you are in a mosque, leave your dirty dishes at home!

For your viewing pleasure, here is a picture of me in front of the silly sign.  I assure you I did no washing of dishes in the sink that day, but I am definitely breaking a rule in this picture.  Can you guess what it is?
Photobucket
See that little tuft of hair peeking out of my shayla(head covering)?  That's a definite no-no.  Also a no-no?  Male/female contact of any kind.  The racy photo below of me and my friend, Phil, got us officially kicked out of the mosque (although we were on our way out, anyway).

Photobucket
With our bodies close together, and his arm touching my waist (the way most Westerners pose for pictures), we were told we were being "indecent."  That was probably the highlight of my day, however, as now I can tell the story of how I was kicked out of a mosque for "being indecent".

XOXO,

No comments: