"Berlin is the newest city I have come across. Even Chicago would appear old and gray in comparison."
~Mark Twain, Chicago Daily Tribune, 1892
"Berlin! Berlin! Wir fahren nach Berlin!" (Berlin! Berlin! We're going to Berlin!)
~A chant during the World Cup in 2006
I think I probably mentioned this already (did I?) but for those of you who don't know, I spent the end of September in Berlin visiting some very dear friends there. It all worked out perfectly-- I was able to join my brother and his band on their European tour, and then after the last show in Leipzig, Germany, I caught a train to Berlin. I realize that I've been a TERRIBLE blogger as of late. I sort of got out of the flow when my hard drive crashed, and then lately I've been feeling as if the bar has really been raised in the blogosphere. I mean, there are some AMAZING bloggers out there, and it's hard for me to put together posts that seem like they might be interesting to others.
I'm really trying to do better, but now I am in Dubai, where some of my favorite sites are blocked (Flickr, that means you), and the internet runs, well, really slowly.
- I took a bicycle tour of the touristy bits of Germany, given to me by a ridiculously tall German man.
- I got yelled at, in German, by various motorists for not knowing the rules of the road as a cyclist (Sorry!!! I'm new at this!)
- I ate yummy German food-- one of my favorite cuisines! (The red cabbage reminded me of what Grandma used to make!)
- I sniffled and coughed for about a week, wearing a permanent indentation into Matt and Corrie's couch.
- I got to see the church that I've been supporting on and off (more off than on, eeek!) for the past five or so years.
- I discovered Berlin vintage shops. Needless to say-- I NEED to stay out of those for the sake of my already anorexic wallet.
- Drank WAY TOO MUCH. When wine costs less than water, what's to stop you?
- Lost a VERY EXPENSIVE scarf that belonged to my best friend (and witnessed the grace of forgiveness as well. Thanks, Corrie!)
- Learned wee bits of German...
- Met some of the lovely people that I've been hearing about for years.
- Met new lovely people that I admire very much.
- Fell in love with cycling.
- Developed a MAJOR crush on a new city
- Discovered that I really LOVE black licorice
- Spent time with two of my favorite-ist people in the whole wide world!
Yes, I think it is fair to say that I fell in love with this lovely city. One day I shall be heading back, even if it is just to visit. Although, with any luck, one day I'll be able to say, alongside Marlene Dietrich, "Ich hab noch einen Koffer in Berlin." ("I still keep a suitcase in Berlin.")