Friday, April 19, 2013

Five Things I'm Thankful For Friday

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

This week I'm Thankful For:

1. Burgeoning Friendships.  It's been a a fun week growing deeper in my relationships with the other girls from my church.  Over the weekend, we gathered on the beach for sunset, and I ended up staying until after midnight bonding with one of the girls over are shared love of a certain photographer.  I also played a card game at another girl's house, and as we roll into another weekend, I look forward to more time spent with my new friends.

2. The Blue Sky.  As I swam my laps in the pool behind our villa, I looked up at the blue sky and felt blessed.  It's a beautiful world we live in and I am lucky to be in it.  I'm thankful for the nature that surrounds me and it's tie to something much bigger than myself.

3. Learning My Way. This seems like a silly thing to be thankful for, but I'm thankful that I'm figuring out how to get around in this town.  I don't have a car, the metro is inconveniently located in regards to my location, and taxis are just too darn expensive, so I've resorted to taking city busses to get around everywhere.  It's been neat because it shows me a different side of Dubai.  The busses wind down roads that are unfamiliar to me, and I'm joined in my travels by mostly poorer residents of Dubai, namely, the immigrant workers.  It provides me with a different perspective on life in this town, and I'm thankful for it.

4. Work. I am ostensibly here to work, and well, a girl does need to eat to live, and so I'm thankful when it comes my way.  I did one fashion show this week at the Dubai Mall, but I'm gearing up for a week of straight bookings (so many so that I've had to turn two down!) next week.  I still haven't gotten paid for anything I've done so far, but I think it's accumulating somewhere, so hopefully it'll be making it's way to my bank account some time soon.

5. Solitude. I'm getting lots and lots of time to myself.  Copious amounts of solitude.  Usually this makes me depressed, as I begin to long for human companionship, but today I realized that I should be thankful for this time as it gives me a chance to reflect and it's something that I won't always have. 

No comments: