Monday, October 25, 2010

Recommended Reading

I have been considering what I should read next. My reading of late has mostly centered around grammar books (Clean, Well-lighted Sentences and Sister Bernadette's Barking Dog: The Quirky History and Lost Art of Diagramming Sentences), which I highly recommend, however, I have been feeling in the mood for something more... fictional. Or, at the very least, a good history that is so entertaining that it reads like fiction.


Enter my friends. The American tv show, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? has entered the phrase "poll the audience" into our collective vernacular, and that is exactly what I did. Here, then, are the suggestions that I received from my literary-minded friends on Facebook:


Photobucket

1. The Secret History by Donna Tartt, recommended by both Christina and Jeffrey
2. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luiz Safon, recommended by Leslie
3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, recommended by Krishan
4. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, recommended by Christine
5. Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, recommended by Leif
6. Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Deibler Rose, recommended by Michelle
7. River Rising by Athol Dickson, recommended by Mrs. Larsen
8. East of Eden by John Steinbeck, recommended by Mike
9. Cutting for Stone by Anthony Verghese, recommended by Amy
10. Juliette, a Novel by Anne Fortier, recommended by Katie
11. Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov, recommended by Adty
12. The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar, recommended by Rachel

Thanks for the suggestions, dear friends!  This should keep me busy for a while.  What about you, friends in the blogsosphere?  Have you read any of these books?  What did you think? Have you read any good books lately?


XOXO,

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I read the Kite Runner it was the annual "on the same page" library book selection, it was excellent. I hope you enjoy it.