Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My 100th Entry

I started this blog back in March with little clue what I would write about, or whether I would even stick with it. I just knew that writing would act as a balm unto my wounded spirit. Today we celebrate my 100th entry, which can only attest to the fact that I've been busy. Thanks for reading along-- let's hope I make it to one hundred more.

Home Grown Cafe in Newark, Delaware

Last night I hung out with an old friend from high school at the local townie bar, Home Grown. They have drink specials on Monday and Wednesday after 10pm, and I, for one, am loathe to pass up a $3 glass of wine.

It was good to see Chetan, the kid that used to sit in front of me in senior english class, but who I have hardly seen since we graduated some eleven years ago. He was in town for the holiday, and Facebook being the great connector, brought us together. He is now a Ph.D. student at Berkeley (studying something about visual preception and computers/robots), while I am an unemployed model, which caused me to think what a great equalizer high school is. Nowadays, it doesn't seem likely that I would become friends with someone studying the same things as Chetan. Let's face it-- most of my friends reside in the realms of art and entertainment. I don't have Wall Street friends, or lawyer friends, or academic friends (which, by the way, is what a lot of my friends from high school have become), but with the common denominator of high school, I can be friends with these types. Anyway, it's just nice to stay in touch with these people from my past.

One of the really cool things that Chetan has done is built a website, Modista.com. It's a shopping website that uses a really clever search engine to help you find what you're looking for. For example, I typed in "Maryjanes heel" and up popped a bunch of shoes fitting my description. What's more, when I selected the picture of the style that I liked, Modista found more shoes that looked a lot like the one I was looking at, thus helping me to narrow it down. You'll have to check it out and see for yourself.

Here are some of the shoes I liked:

No comments: