Monday, April 13, 2009

The Model as Muse

Elise1990s
Me at the age of 15 in front of my model collage. How many faces can you recognize?

I have always been obsessed with models. I can't remember when that infatuation started, but I think it had something to do with me being stopped by an agent (well, not a real one, but one who worked for John Casablancas) when I was twelve years old. The infatuation might also be related to the fact that I came of age during the era of the supermodel. Whatever the reason, I LOVED 'em. I wanted to hang out with them (you can't imagine how excited I was when I met my first supermodel, Niki Taylor, at the King of Prussia mall in 1998), papered my walls in pictures of them, and knew every possible fact about their lives. Sad, I know.

The Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City seems to share my fascination; The Model as Muse Exhibit opens to the public on May 6, with a costume gala hosted my Kate Moss; Justin Timberlake; and Editor-in-Chief of American Vogue, Anna Wintour. Color me excited.

In related and thrilling news, the much anticipated May cover for Vogue has been revealed. It features nine models on fold-out pages. The issue is being released in conjunction with the exhibit, and includes all things model inside.

VOCV002021D0
vogue1
vogue2


Inside the issue we find the incomparable Natalia Vodianova playing dress up as some of the great models of the last hundred years:
veruschka
jeanpatchett
twiggy
penelopetree
laurenhutton
dovima
marisaberenson

I simply can't wait to get my hands on this issue!

XOXO,

No comments: